Purpose of Summarizing a Passage
- Condense information to provide an overview
- Include the author’s full name, title of source, and writer’s intent (main idea).
- Organize main ideas into a paragraph.
Always write your own words.
Steps in Writing a Summary
- Read passage to get an overview.
- Read passage again underlining main ideas and major details.
- Create an outline of main ideas.
- Write a first draft without looking at original passage.
- Revise, check for accuracy and write final draft